Food Allergy Week (26 May – 1 June) is an initiative by Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia that aims to increase community awareness about food allergy in an effort to promote understanding and ultimately help protect those at risk.
One of the biggest challenges Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia faces is ensuring that Australians receive the right advice and support when it comes to allergy management.he organisation is encouraging people with allergy, or carers of those with allergy, to utilise their free services which include sharing up-to-date, evidence-based information and support.
There are several ways people can support Food Allergy Week:
- Educate others by sharing Food Allergy Week resources such as the signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction or how to administer an EpiPen with your networks
- Paint a fingernail to symbolise the one in 10 babies born in Australia that will develop a food allergy before their first birthday
- Download a badge and make it your profile picture on social media during Food Allergy Week
- Hold a Facebook fundraiser – head to https://www.facebook.com/fundraisers/ and follow the prompts
- Donate much needed funds for allergy education, advocacy and support
Given that Australia has one of the highest rates of food allergy in the world, helping to communicate the importance of understanding food allergy and raising awareness and much needed funds for allergy education is of vital importance.