The ILSI Focal Point in China held a highly successful Workshop on Food Allergy in Beijing on 31 March 2017. The Allergen Bureau congratulates Professor Junshi Chen, Meeting Organiser and Facilitator, for hosting this workshop that presented the latest information on food allergy from international and local speakers to an appreciative audience.
Workshop speakers included:
- Professor Steve Taylor, FARRP and VITAL Scientific Expert Panel Chair, on ‘New knowledge on allergen thresholds’
- Professor Samuel Godefroy, Universite Laval, Québec Canada, on ‘Food allergen labelling issues’
- Dr Yongxiang Fan, Centre for Food Safety Standard, China, on The Chinese approach to food allergen management
- Ms Kirsten Grinter, Allergen Bureau President and Nestle Australia, on Making VITAL Progress – our priorities & challenges
- Dr Lianglu Wang, Dept. of Allergy, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Epidemiological and clinical features
The workshop included presentations and discussion on: a global overview of food allergy today; the science that underpins good regulatory policy development; and the need to protect the allergic consumer at the core of everyone’s contribution. All sectors were represented at the workshop – ranging from the clinician’s perspective in China through to the new global knowledge on allergen thresholds and food allergen management.
The contribution from speakers and audience participants meant that the practices and priorities of each sector was understood, including challenges to ensure a consistent and collaborative allergy and allergen management evolution. The Allergen Bureau’s Kirsten Grinter reporting that “It was an amazing experience to share our local experiences at the workshop and feel a part of the discussion and solution toward a global food safety approach through consistent harmonised practices”.